Colorado Youth Corps Association
Colorado Youth Corps Association identified a need for ongoing communication support to complement its internal marketing initiatives. Its objectives were to increase investments in statewide youth corps programs for land, water and energy conservation projects, and to garner support from decision makers. As a small nonprofit, CYCA had limited in-house resources to carry out this work alone, and hired Highland Communication Works to fill the role in a cost-effective manner. We have supported CYCA in its work continually since 2011.
What I Delivered
- Developed cost-effective communication campaigns to boost visibility of CYCA and each of CYCA’s affiliated corps offices in 10 regions across the state.
- Created common messaging and strategies for corps while enabling corps to maintain local control over implementation.
- Developed PR guidelines, tools and templates for corps, including customizable news releases, media pitches, speaking points and social media content.
- Provided media outreach and story-telling to support CYCA’s annual corpsmember awards ceremony, held at the Colorado State Capitol.
- Developed outreach materials that tell the story of CYCA and the corps – including monthly e-newsletters, corpsmember testimonials, project stories and board member profiles.
- Used social media channels and other online tools to cross-promote statewide corps projects and successes, promote key partnerships with funders and partners, and bolster community engagement.
These communication activities have:
- Resulted in press coverage for CYCA and the corps in local, regional and national outlets – helping CYCA reach influential audiences with key messages, build awareness about corps programs and maintain ongoing funding.
- Publicly boosted the work of youth corps, the lasting impacts of corps on Colorado’s young people, and the economic and environmental impacts of corps projects on the state’s land, water and energy resources.
- Promoted the financial support of influential partners, such as Great Outdoors Colorado, Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education, Colorado Water Conservation Board, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Forest Service and others - encouraging these groups to continue supporting CYCA's mission.