Gay & Lesbian Fund for Colorado
The Gay & Lesbian Fund for Colorado (GLFC) identified a need to launch a story-telling campaign, with a goal to illustrate the impact of its giving on grantees and inform Coloradans about the diversity of its work. My work thus began with the creation of a series of testimonials about the GLFC’s support of arts and culture, healthy families, public broadcasting and civic participation programs. This relatively small project evolved into a more comprehensive program, allowing me the opportunity to serve the GLFC in a variety of communication capacities for five years.
What I Delivered
- Developed and implemented a communication program that boosted the fund’s visibility among a variety of audiences across Colorado, shared messages of equality to advance the mission of the GLFC and its allies, boosted public perceptions of the gay and lesbian community, built upon the GLFC’s important alliances and partnerships, and shared stories about the power of philanthropy and its impact on people’s lives.
- Played a key role in developing the GLFC’s strategic messaging and positioning, including a revamped mission statement.
- Developed educational grantee tools and materials including the Advancing Equality Toolkit and the Gender Expression Toolkit to help nonprofits create an inclusive, diverse work environment and improve personnel policies and practices, and the Challenge Grant Toolkit to help nonprofits maximize their matching grants and enhance marketing techniques for broader community support and long-term sustainability.
- Developed an annual series of grantee profiles to tell the story about the impacts of GLFC's giving in key program areas, and LGBT profiles to share the stories of LGBT individuals and their contributions to Colorado.
- Promoted leadership through bylined articles about nonprofit management and leadership that appeared in local business journals, nonprofit blogs, national philanthropy publications and regional radio programs.
- Promoted leadership by securing several awards for Mary Lou Makepeace, who was recognized in the Denver Business Journal’s Women in Business feature and was inducted into the Colorado Women’s Hall of Fame, and for the GLFC, which was named Outstanding Foundation on National Philanthropy Day.
- Designed and implemented an annual “advancing equality” award program recognizing allies in the quest for equality.
- Created funding prospectuses to support partner LGBT organizations, and a brochure for a collaboration of nonprofits working toward similar goals around social justice and equality.
- Helped spearhead the Anti-Discrimination Task Force education campaign, designed to educate Coloradans about state anti-discrimination laws in collaboration with government agencies, nonprofits, lobbyists and business leaders.
- Generated media attention for the GLFC and the executive director in a variety of Colorado outlets from the Colorado Springs Business Journal to KRCC Radio.